Monday, August 10, 2009

Review: Lamb by Christopher Moore



Recommended for: people with a sense of humour...hopefully that's everyone!

Contains: course language, sex, violence (& sarcasm)

Description from cover:

The birth of Jesus has been well chronicled, as have his glorious teachings, acts, and divine sacrifice after his thirtieth birthday. But no one knows about the early life of the Son of God, the missing years -- except Biff, the Messiahs best bud, who has been resurrected to tell the story in the divinely hilarious yet heartfelt work "reminiscent of Vonnegut and Douglas Adams" (Philadelphia Inquirer).

Verily, the story Biff has to tell is a miraculous one, filled with remarkable journeys, magic, healings, kung fu, corpse reanimations, demons, and hot babes. Even the considerable wiles and devotion of the Saviors pal may not be enough to divert Joshua from his tragic destiny. But theres no one who loves Josh more -- except maybe "Maggie," Mary of Magdala -- and Biff isn't about to let his extraordinary pal suffer and ascend without a fight.

Teaser quote:

"Shut the door", the innkeeper shouted as the wind whipped through the room. "Were you born in a barn?"

"Yeah", said Joshua.

"He was", I said. "Angels on the roof, though."

My rating: 5/5

My thoughts:

WARNING: do not drink & read as liquids may go flying.

My BFF over at http://seolmara.blogspot.com/ and I decided that we needed a funny book. Lucky for us we found Christopher Moore & after looking at reviews, Lamb seemed to be everyone's favorite. Not having much of a religious background, I was hesitant thinking that many jokes/references would go over my head. I'm sure many did and yet I have not had so many tears, giggles, snorts and 'eyes popping out of my head' moments (as in, did he actually just say that!!!) from one book. Rest assured, having greater knowledge of the Bible would have been helpful (Wikipedia came in handy a few times) but don't be afraid to read this hilarious book based solely on the subject. Starting on the second page of chapter 1, all the way through I laughed my butt off (well, until you know what happens in the end) and did not want to put the book down.

"...we have a thirty year hole in the life of the most influential human being ever to walk the face of the earth. With Lamb, in my own goofy way, I attempted to fill that hole in history, but again, I am not trying to present history as it might have been, I'm simply telling stories." (Pg 439) Moore succeeded in taking a serious subject and building his own story with humour & sarcasm all while sticking to our perception of what Jesus is. Similar to my experience with Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, after reading Lamb I was left wanting to read the Bible to find out what parts were truth, what were fiction.

You know you've read a great book when you get to the end and you're left wanting more (or should I say Moore, hehe). I'm putting this one back on the bottom of my 'to read' pile as it's definitely one to read again.

For more goofiness, visit http://www.chrismoore.com/

What books have you read & loved that surprised you?

Lesson #5:
Don't judge a book by its cover!

--------------------------------------------
If you got this far, thank you so much for reading my review!!! Being my first, I would appreciate lots of feedback (I'm tough so please feel free to critique). Should I add more book details, write my own summary about the book rather then use the book cover? Thanks everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I followed you over here from book blogs.

    This is a great review! My husband has read almost all of Christopher Moore's books and I keep meaning to but haven't gotten around to any yet. This review reminds me that I really should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, when you need a laugh pick up his book! By page two, you won't be able to put it down :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this one recently and thought there were laugh-out-loud bits of it. I love the smackdown over Soap Opera Digest!

    I've linked to you here.

    ReplyDelete