Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Scarlett March lives to hunt the fenris—the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She’s determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax—but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they’ve worked for.

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Released: June 7, 2010

My Rating: 4 / 5

Ever wonder what would happen if Little Red Riding Hood had fought back? Sisters Red is a play on the fairy tale we all know & love...well sort of, with two kick butt sisters! Scarlett, her sister Rosie, along with their friend Silas grew up around the woods knowing that fenris really do exist. After the girls Grandma was killed and Scarlett left mauled by the attack, she made it her mission to protect the word from these evil beasts.

The story is told in two voices, from Scarlett & Rosie's perspectives and I must say the characters in this book are killer! The contrast between the sisters almost makes them whole, I loved how this was played out. Scarlett's determination at all costs, giving up any hope for a normal life; Rosie's devotion to her sister, the internal struggle as she wants that normal life. Silas, the woodsman son, can we clone him? Jackson managed to do create the most caring guy that is still hot & does not come across as a wuss!

The story takes place in present day & made me think outside the box - am I missing things when wearing my rosey coloured glasses? I know this is fiction but it's funny that the book had me questioning reality :) I loved the world Jackson has built and the concept of how one gets to be a fenris, the action, the fact that the bad guys (aka fenris) use the power of their good looks to get their prey while the sisters dumb themselves down & dress the part to lure them. Early on in the book, we are introduced to a thought-provoking story told to the girls by their Grandma about John & Mary in the cave. It has stuck with me and was perfectly payed out, coming full circle in the end.

Sisters Red is a stand alone but I am eagerly awaiting Sweetly, the second book in her fairy tale-inspired series. This story is going to be loosely based on the tale Hansel and Gretel & will be published by Little, Brown and Company in June 2011.

7 comments:

  1. Great review to such a fun and unique story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review hun! I've seen this book around, it sounds very intriguing, and i just love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing review!!! I saw that you are a part of the Debut Author Challenge! That is so amazing that you are supporting debut authors and I only recently found out that I am going to be one!!! I wanted to ask if you wouldn’t mind heading over to my blog and giving me your opinion. As a blogger turned author I would really appreciate it and the publisher is still giving out ARCs so you might have a chance at a free copy! Thank you and I hope you will stop by and check out The Thirteenth Chime!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    P.S.- My release date if Friday the 13th (August this year) isn't that crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fairy tale retellings and I haven't come across many (any?) based on Little Red Riding Hood. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one when it comes out next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I really want to read this one, as I love updated fairy tales!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own Sisters Red and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read another review of this and for whatever crazy reason didn't pick up on the tie to Little Red Riding Hood. Still, this sounds like a phenomenal read. I'm very interested to read it and see how ti all plays out. From past experience though, I usually really enjoy fairy tale inspired stories. They make you really question things because you've held on to the traditional versions for so long!

    Jennifer @ www.justicejennifer.com

    ReplyDelete