Thursday, November 4, 2010

Review: Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly


Hardcover, 472 pages

Published: October 12th 2010

Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers

ISBN: 0385737637

BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnelly, author of the award-winning novel A Northern Light, artfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love. Revolution spans centuries and vividly depicts the eternal struggles of the human heart.
My Rating: 5 / 5

My Thoughts:

This books premise caught me right away: time travel, connections and character growth. Add in my love for music and my new found eagerness for books on world history and this book had it all!

The main character, Andi, is deeply depressed, carrying the burden of her brothers death and mom's subsequent withdrawal from the world; she is a straight A student who is now failing. What struck me as odd (in a good way) was that as a reader, I connected with her yet didn't find the book a downer at all! With music, art and friends for support, hope was always there and you knew that somehow things would right themselves again...I loved this!

If you read my blog, you may already know that I cringe when famous names are dropped in books as I find it really dates the book. Jennifer's use of names, however, adds to the book, and I found it fascinating to see the connections and impact that musicians have had on each other over the years. Having no background in the French Revolution, I loved having a quick & fun lesson about life in these times and how it came to be. I enjoyed going back in time and feeling part of it all. (note: thanks Jennifer for the huge bibliography at the end!)

Just like Andi, I found myself anxious as she read Alex's diary, always hoping that maybe, somehow, the history books have it all wrong and Louis-Charles survived! Are you curious too? You'll have to read Revolution and find out for yourself.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I'm glad you liked this one so much. I actually started it but haven't finished it. It's really emotionally draining for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie ~ when i started It was worried it would be gloomy & was surprised not to feel it :) Hope you get sucked into the mystery part soon, it's a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the review! Just got a copy of this one in the past 2 wks so its in my TBR...just hasn't surfaced quite yet. Sounds like it's gonna be good though! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first saw this book I wasn't too interested in it but I've been seeing great reviews on it so now I've added it to my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read this one for so long now! I'm waiting for my library to order a copy. Well-written review, Mel, and I'm not surprised you liked it, becausd it seems like we have similar tastes :D

    By the way, I'm a new follower, and I would appreciate if you followed back!

    Hafsah @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, been seeing reviews all around today. :) Great review. You got me wanting to read the story more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry I have not commented in awhile! Busy buys! BUT i am reading this book right now and I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Thanks so much for revieiwng it. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete