Thursday, May 26, 2011
How Many Have You Read?
Last October, Scholastic began YouAreWhatYouRead.com, a social network site designed for booklovers. Users are asked to create their own Bookprint of the five books that helped shape who they are. To date, the site has 15,000 users and over 200 Names You Know contributing (ranging from presidents to actors to famous athletes), here are the results so far!
The 10 most influential books picked by adults:
1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
2. The Holy Bible
3. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
5. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
6. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
7. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
8. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
9. The Giver by Lois Lowry
10. Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
The 10 most influential books picked by kids:
1. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
6. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
7. Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
8. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney
9. The 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan
10. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
There are two books listed in the adult list that I have yet to enjoy: Gone with the Wind which is my mom's favorite and I have seen the movie numerous times, I even had a family dog named Ashley (yes, he was a boy too) and The Giver. It looks like I must change this soon!! How many have you read from these lists?
Don't forget to join in and create your own Bookprints at www.youarewhatyouread.com.