Monday, March 1, 2010

Review: The Mark by Jen Nadol

Publisher: Bloomsbury

Released: January 19, 2010

Hardcover: 240 pages

ISBN-13: 978-1599904313


Teaser quote:
We finished our tea, neither of us answering my question with the obvious response that it could be anything. Anything would be more likely than what I'd told her. It wasn't until we put our mugs down that Nan broke the silence.
"So, what now?" (pg 22)

My rating: 4 / 5

My thoughts:


Cassie has lived with her Nan since she was two, after her parents passed away. She has seen a glow around people ever since she can remember but never really paid too much attention. Now at age 16, she thinks she's figured out what it means and follows a man on the street. Sadly her theory is proven correct...those with the glow die that day. After Nan dies, she is sent to live with an Aunt she has never known. It is here that she starts to question her gift.

The premise of this book caught my attention...what would you do if you knew someone was about to die? Would you warn them? Would you do what you could to try and stop it? I love how Jen seamlessly incorporated the philosophical aspect into the book, having Cassie explore the moral aspects through attend college philosophy classes and through the  relationship with her TA, Lucas.

Cassie was a likeable character, very mature for her age and handles her gift way better then I think would at *cough* twice her age. Although the gift seems depressing by predicting death, the story is anything but. It's the story of a girl, trying to understand her past, and deciding what to do with the cards she's been dealt.

Now the ending, well it left a lot open but I was happy to see on Jen's blog that there is a sequel in the works :) I hope to see more of Jack, the friend back home who seems to really 'get' her. An amazing debut that I would highly recommend everyone check out.

5 comments:

  1. I like open endings. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I may be borrowing it at some point ;-)hou

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your review! I am looking forward to reading this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juju ~ me too, I <3 series!

    Jackie ~ yeppers, once you have the time ROFL

    Stephanie & Sheila ~ thanks, I hope you guys love it too :)

    ReplyDelete