Monday, November 7, 2011

Review: Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Paperback, 320 pages

Released: October 11, 2011

Publisher: HarperTeen

Places to find the book:
Goodreads.com
Amazon.com
Chapters.ca
First I find out that my boyfriend is cheating on me. Then he’s pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And now he’s depending on me to clear his name. Seriously?

As much as I wouldn’t mind watching him squirm, I know that he’s innocent. So I’m brushing off my previously untapped detective skills and getting down to business. But I keep tripping over dead bodies and I’m still no closer to figuring out who did it. And what’s worse: all signs seem to point to me as the killer’s next victim.

I really need to pick a better boyfriend next time.
My Rating: 4.5 / 5

My Thoughts:
Hartley hasn't had a good day. She just found out her long time boyfriend, Josh, was cheating on her and with the president of the Chastity Club of all people! She decides to call him on it but when he isn't at practise after school, she grabs her best friend and heads over to his place. With his Jeep out front but no answer at the door, that doesn't stop her. She is on a mission so climbs into his bedroom window, searches for him, only to discover he wasn't home after all and there's a dead body in is room! Josh goes into hiding, more bodies are found but Hartley trusts her gut that Josh isn't the perpetrator. Playing detective with the help of her best friend and the guy next door, she wants to solve this crime  ...at the risk of becoming the next victim.

After reading a few pages of Deadly Cool, my first thought was "I need to check out all of Gemma Halliday's books". Just like Bumped by Megan McCafferty, her witty writing style has me smiling and giggling even though this premise of the book is not a laughing matter. Some of the time Hartley's actions are frustrating, but that is what makes this serious situation fun. Hartley is a character you wish you could hang out with, someone you feel comfortable wanting to smack upside the head :D Part mystery, part high school drama, Deadly Cool was a hilarious read.

On a side note: This was not what I was expecting, it was even better. For me, the shocking blue eyes on the cover lead me to believe there was some paranormal element when there was none! The fonts used in the title are perfect, the use of iPod headphones ingenious really, but alas, read the synopsis and don't look at this cover to get the feel for this book. This is the start of a series and there is not a year long wait for book two! Here's the Goodreads.com link for Social Suicide.

6 comments:

  1. oh I just bought this last week I'm really excited to read it. Excellent review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my eye on this one for a little while now, and it sounds like something worth checking out! Glad to hear you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I'm glad you liked this one, I wasn't really sure I wanted to read it but now I am, even more because of that comparison with Megan McCaferty's writing. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giselle ~ you should be excited, it was a fun read :D

    Natalie ~ You're welcome, it's a non-serious mystery, hope it makes you giggle too!

    Cynthia ~ I don't normally compare but I really feel that everyone should know they style of this one, it was unexpected hilarity!

    ReplyDelete