Friday, November 18, 2011

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


Hardcover, 342 pages

Released: November 15, 2011

Publisher: HarperCollins

Places to find the book:
Goodreads.com
Amazon.com
Chapters.ca

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.

My Rating: 5 / 5

My Thoughts:

Dystopian's are hit or miss for me, this one nailed it. Blown away, this is going to be in my Top 10 for 2010 for sure, maybe even #1!

Shatter Me is a book you will consume in one sitting. I read a lot on my commute to work and stop at the end of a chapter but not with this one, I needed to read as much as I could and didn't waste one minute! Juliette is a strong character who just happens to have a natural ability that people would love to have power over. She is in demand, so to speak, but has her morals and knows that what she can do is not something to play around with. I loved seeing her defy Warner, who stole her to use as a weapon. But what I think makes this book stand out so much for me is that in Warner,Tahereh Mafi created a bad character that you also feel sympathy for! But wait, she doesn't stop there...she also gives us Adam, and the chemistry between Juliette and him is perfectly played out. Full of non-stop action & intrigue, this debut is not to be missed.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic!!! I need to put this on my "to read" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review!!
    I so totally agree!!! but this one is in my top 5 or something! seriously! it blew me away!! I also published my review today =) in case you want to know what I think! muah! happy reading!

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review I'm glad you enjoyed this too! I loved Adam as well he's so sweet!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Mel!
    I've had my eye on this one for ages.
    You've convinced me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked it!! I haven't read a negative review about this one yet and am anxiously awaiting my copy (which is being shipped here now, but is taking way too long...)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit, I've seen tons of positive reviews on this one and just one or two negative ones. It kind of makes me nervous, but I still can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEI, goooo Warner!
    I loved that character too. He is a great bad guy, and he was my favorite character in this book. Can't wait to see what happens next :)

    Happy midnight reading!

    ReplyDelete