Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Review: Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg


Hardcover, 231 pages

Released: January 1st 2011

Publisher: Point

ISBN: 9780545240772
After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn’t interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be — especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.

Lizzie is happy about her friend’s burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles’s friend, Will Darcy, who’s snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn’t seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it’s because her family doesn’t have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk — so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?

Will Lizzie’s pride and Will’s prejudice keep them apart? Or are they a prom couple in the making? Whatever the result, Elizabeth Eulberg, author of The Lonely Hearts Club, has concocted a very funny, completely stylish delight for any season — prom or otherwise.

My Rating: 4 / 5

My Thoughts:
I really enjoy the contemporary re-telling of Austen books. When done right, the young adult versions have the opportunity to open up a whole new world to readers that have yet to discover classics and I love them for that.

Prom and Prejudice is Elizabeth Eulberg's ode to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. What I think is most important in a re-telling, and Elizabeth tackles perfectly, is keeping the essence of the characters: Lizzie is quick to judge, Darcy appears uptight & arrogant while Wickham is a snake. Although some characters are missing or changed (for instance Jane is her best friend, Lydia is Jane's sister), the gist of the story remains: Lizzie is initially turned off by Darcy's withdrawn and snobbish appearance, while Lizzie learns the hard way of Wickham's true nature. I loved how the author altered the story a bit by incorporating the piano in a different way, creating an opportunity later in the book… such a Happily Ever After feeling when you get to the end.

We all know how it ends, but it sure if fun to see how Lizzie and Darcy get there! Prom and Prejudice is a great, cute read that leaves you smiling and feeling satisfied and wanting to (re)read Pride and Prejudice…or at least watch the movie...again!

(and if you haven't already, check our her debut, The Lonely Hearts Club, this should be required reading for young girls! The book is so much fun & contans such an important message of friends & loving oneself. You can find my rave review here)

8 comments:

  1. I just reviewed this yesterday on my blog and I have to agree it should be required reading for young girls :)

    I'm doing a series on my blog for debut authors and the first post went up today, come check it out? http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/2011/02/2011-debut-author-incites-beth-revis.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Elizabeth Eulerbg's YA retelling of Pride and Prejudice. She did a great job keeping it light and fun, but also stuck very true Jane Austen's work at the same time. Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read more Austen retellings, so I may have to check this one out. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Mel! :D
    This sounds like an adorable read. I love P&P - who doesn't? - and enjoyed Elizabeth Eulberg's The Lonely Hearts Club, so I'll definitely have to check this one out. Thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your review! Loved P&P, and this sounds like a fun update!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Prom and Prejudice, it was such a feel good read so I'm hoping to read Eulberg's debut book in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds wonderful. I still have a lot of re-telling of Austen books on my tbrlist, but I'm adding this one to it. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one piqued my interest when I first heard about it. I'll have to borrow soonish ;-) Great review!

    ReplyDelete