Friday, February 12, 2010

Review: Gone by Lisa McMann


Publisher: Simon Pulse

Hardcover: 224 pages

Released: February 9, 2010



Teaser quote:
"Wonders what it would be like if all of it had never happened to her, if she'd never read that damn green notebook, if she'd never ridden that train where it all started when she was eight. If she could actually be in control of her life, just once."

My rating: 3.5 /5

My thoughts:

Note: this is the final book in the Wake trilogy (see my review of book #1 here and book #2 here) and unfortunately this review will be full of spoilers....be forewarned!

Janie & Cabel have graduated and are enjoying their summer together, that is until she gets an emergency phone call about her mom. She rushes to the hospital only to discover her mom comforting somone she doesn't reconize...her father in a coma. Janie uses her ability to learn more about her dad but in the process uncovers another life path that Miss Stubin didn't consider.

This book focused on Janie's internal struggle on how to life her life: continue as Miss Stubin only to develop crippled hands & become blind in a few years OR become a recluse like her dad & leaving everyone behind. Poor Cabel is the great guy he always has been, supporting her without really knowing what she is going through..and she was just about to leave him! Although I enjoyed GONE mush better then FADE, I was hoping for more insight into her mom & why she is the way she is. Yes, I know we were told about why her father left, that he loved her mom but I would have liked maybe to see more on this, maybe some closure, maybe something to bring her and Janie closer? I guess I really felt that this was too focused on Janie and her choice, the ending ties things up too quickly and there was much more in this story to be told. I ca see myself re-reading WAKE over and over again but as a series overall, I think it was just OK.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Follow Canadian Blogger! Just letting you know I am following your blog now! :)

    ReplyDelete