Monday, March 21, 2011

Review: Afterlife by Claudia Gray


Hardcover, 368 pages

Released: March 8, 2011

Publisher: HarperTeen

ISBN: 9780061284427
The fourth book in this electrifying vampire series has all the romance, suspense, and page-turning drama that have made Claudia Gray’s Evernight books runaway successes.

Having become what they feared most, Bianca and Lucas face a terrifying new reality. They must return to Evernight Academy, Lucas as a vampire and Bianca as a wraith. But Lucas is haunted by demons, both personal and supernatural. Bianca must help him fight the evil inside him, combat the forces determined to drive them apart—and find the power to claim her destiny at last.

Readers have fallen in love with Bianca and Lucas, and they will be thrilled to read this exciting conclusion to their romantic adventure.

My Rating: 3.5 / 5

My Thoughts:
The most painful thing when you love a series is waiting a year for the next book. By the time the book is released, you have built up your own hype and can't wait to dive in. This is what Afterlife was like for me. This review is hard because on one hand the ending to the series left me a tad disappointed (because of my own expectations) while on the other hand, Claudia brings the series full circle and we find out the true reason behind Evernight Academy.

As always, I loved the cast of characters: Ranulf and Vic are the best friends anyone could ask for, Balthazar is yummy and Patrice makes me giggle. So what were my expectations? Well, I feel in love with Bianca and Lucas, their love and devotion against all odds. Although this continues and there is closure here, I found a good chunk of the final book focuses on explaining the role of wraiths and vampires as well as Mrs. Bethany's motivation behind Evernight Academy. As Lucas adjusts to his new life as a vampire, he isn't as strong, physically and emotionally, in this book. I think maybe I wanted more Bianca & Lucas and that happily ever after.

My dilemma: The more I think about it, the more I appreciate this final book, as Claudia follows through on her world building, we learn so much about the wraiths. It's a bittersweet ending that seemed perfect. Now to wait another year for Balthazar's book :) If you love this series & know what to expect going in, I think you will be left feeling way more satisfied.You can read my review of Hourglass (book 3 of the series) here.

3 comments:

  1. I read the first line or two and then I had to stop. I have only read the first book in the series and do intend to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose it's about time I actually start on this series then..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it didn't live up for you. But, maybe it will get better. :) Well, worth a try and hoping.

    I think I might have the first book of this series. But I'm not sure now. If I don't have it I want it. :) Oh well. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete