Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Review: Clarity by Kim Harrington

Hardcover, 242 pages

Released: March 1, 2011

Publisher: Scholastic Point

ISBN13: 9780545230506
Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?

My Rating:4.5

My thoughts:
Well, I'm not really sure how to classify this book: crime/mystery/paranormal/romance, it really had a little bit of everything...and I loved it! What I think also makes it stand out is the crime solving element, maybe it's just me but I haven't read many YA books that deal with this. As I was reading, I kept thinking Kim has really got something here! Here's why:

The setting makes me want to pick up and move to the East Coast. Clare lives in a tourist town of Eastport, think walking around the boardwalk eating ice cream watching the waves roll in...I think I could handle that!

The characters were all great but Clare, darn I loved her & her snarkiness. Considered a 'freak' by her peers for her paranormal ability, she is rock solid and takes no bull! She knows what is important, is very family oriented, loveable, intelligent..I could go on & on.

The plot keep you guessing. Kim offers up twists & turns, leads you astray but it all wraps up nicely in the end.

This is a book to devour in one setting, I am so eager to follow Clare again next year when book two, Perception, comes out! As much as I enjoy Temperance Brennan in Kathy Reichs series, I could totally see myself following Clare for years to come, it has that potential to be a series to love..an awesome Debut by Kim!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm so glad to hear there are so many elements in it. :) Sounds like a wonderful read for me. :)

    ReplyDelete