Thursday, November 12, 2009

Review: Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater



Publisher: Flux

Released: October 1, 2009

Paperback: 360 pages

ISBN: 978-0738714844




Recommended for: lovers of YA, romance, angst, faeries

Teaser quote:
"It took me a long time to go back to the dorms after he'd gone. In the ordinary night he'd left behind, I sat on a hill, the wind whispering through the long grass that surrounded me. I stared at the stars and wanted more than what I was and more than what the world was and just - wanted." (pg 96)

My rating: 4/5

My thoughts:

I should start off by saying that I have read Ballad without Lament (though that will change) it just took a bit to understand the complex past James & Dee share. This was also my first foray into the world of faeries so there was a little bit of a learning curve here.

Ballad is a dark but beautiful story told from two points of view: James & Nuala. James and his friend Dee are attending Thornking-Ash, a school for talented musicians. Poor James is still pining over Dee while she is struggling to come to terms with Luke and faeries in her life (this is where the background of Lament would have come in handy). Nuala is a Leanan Sidhe who attracts musicians with offers of help to make them the best...but at a cost - years of their life. She's near the end of her sixteen year life cycle and has chosen James as her last target.

James is such a witty character, I loved him from the start. Nuala doesn't hold her tonge either and this made for some hilarious moments. For Nuala, it was evident from the begining that her dark life had more to do with 'what' she was rather then 'who' she was. As we know, the land of Faeries isn't nice and James was left with a tough choice to make in the end: should he save Dee (who he has loved for years and would do anything for) or Nuala (whose interest in James turns out to be so much more then just his musical talent). I loved how this all played out.

I'm such a sucker for a happy ending, the ending was so beautiful. Then BAM she throws a curve ball at me! I can't wait to read more of Maggie Stiefvater's Faerie world, though I'm making an assumption that Maggie won't leave us hanging :)

5 comments:

  1. I loved Lament and Shiver so I can't wait to read Ballad! And I'm a sucker for happy endings too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review...I still haven't read Lament but I own both books, jeez I buy a lot but never get around to reading them haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eleni ~ LOL, you do! I tried this without the Lament background as it could be a standalone. I think I'll read Lament & re-read Ballad right after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could make one recommendation to those who haven't read either Ballad or Lament. I would suggest reading Ballad first. You rated Ballad higher then I did and I think mostly b/c you read it without Lament. After you read Lament you'll understand.

    ReplyDelete