Friday, November 20, 2009

Review: I, Alex Cross by James Patterson



Hardcover: 400 pages

Publisher: Little, Brown and Company

Released: November 16, 2009

ISBN-13: 978-0316018784




Recommended for: Thriller/suspense fans

Teaser quote:
"I want this done fast gentlemen. Fast and clean and thorough. We need some real facts. And clarity. We need to find out who the hell Zeus is and what he's done, and then we have to deal with it like it never happened.

My rating: 3.5/5

My thoughts:

Detective Alex Cross was at home celebrating his birthday with the family when the phone rings. His niece, Carolyn, whom sadly he had not seen in many years, has been found murdered. Alex discovers the call-girl lifestyle Carolyn was living and pieces fall into place...she wasn't the only victim! What starts out as a hunt for Carolyn's murderer quickly turns into a hunt for a serial murderer with assistance from the Secret Service.

What I love about Patterson is ability to balance the thriller & family story aspects. Although not graphic, the story contains sex, violence, sexual violence...and a wood chipper. But alongside the murder investigation, we see Alex's family living a somewhat normal life. Nana is not well and this plays a huge role in the book. As a reader, it was comforting seeing the family support through the tough times and not just focusing on the bizarre case at hand.

I was a bit disappointed that the murderer was announced so quickly near the end. I was hoping to read a little bit more about the aftermath. Did the truth come out? What did the murderers wife say/do? I am a huge fan of happy endings though and the epilogue worked for me.

Although this is the sixteenth book of the Alex Cross series, it can be easily read as a standalone. For many more books by James Patterson, visit www.jamespatterson.com

9 comments:

  1. I've seen movies based on the Alex Cross stuff but never actually read the book. I'm sure I'll get to this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to start reading Alex Cross soon (since I was stupid enough to join the James Patterson challenge) :P this one looks really good though! great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried James Patterson yet. Your review really piqued my interest, especially your point about how he balances the thriller with the family story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laughing Stars ~ I've read a few years ago but wow, he writes A LOT! The case was so disturbing but the read was so easy. I think it had to do with Alex & his family as part of the story, not just characters helping to solve the crime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. okbolver ~ lol, well he certainly has a bunch of books to pick from! I found his style so easy to read, it was great, simple, nothing fancy. I hope you enjoy it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really look forward to reading some of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juju ~ he has lots to pick from, that's for sure. A great writer, not sure how he pumps out so many!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm behind in this series. The audios are great for road trips with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stacy ~ you know, I've tried audio books before but didn't care for them. I think this probably would be a great series to listen to though!

    ReplyDelete