Monday, November 2, 2009

Review: The Christmas Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman

Publisher: Atria

Released: October 20, 2009

Hardcover, 288 pages

ISBN-10: 1439158843






Recommended for: lovers of Chick Lit

My rating: 3/5

My thoughts:

On the first Monday in December every year twelve women get together for their annual "cookie club" party. The book is narrated by Marnie, the 'head cookie b*tch. Each chapter begins with a recipe of a particular cookie club member, with the chapter focusing on that person: how they came to know Marnie, their past & what is happening in their life now. Also included after each chapter is a history of basic baking ingredients.

I'll start off with what I loved about the book: the recipes & the details provided in the prologue outlining some rules to help in putting together your own cookie club. I also loved the premise of this book, unfortunately it did not turn out to be the happy, pre-Christmas read I was hoping for. The book covers many sad topics including lost jobs, unfaithful relationships, death of a child, miscarriages and still-births. The only part I laughed at was Juliet's description of how to make her treats.

Having a chapter devoted to one character sounds great but the downfall was that I could read this book & put it down without wondering what was going to happen next. It also meant that there was little for me to feel that I really knew the character, no closeness. In the end, I guess the message here is really a basic one: the importance of friendships, especially in times of need. I just wish there was more happiness, more laughter, to celebrate in the book.

A sequel has been slated for 2011 & CBS has bought the film rights. Depending on the casting, I think this may be one of those few cases where I'd like the movie more then the book.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with your review. Im still glad I read it, but just okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane ~ I saw your review but didn't want to read it until mine was up. It started out so strong but ran out of steam for me. Too bad too I had such high hopes for it, I loved the opening paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review as usual, Mel! I felt the same way as you, and I think it also could be the same case for me where I like the movie better than the book too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a few reviews that are less than thrilled with this book. I have this in my TBR pile, but I guess I won't hurry to read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds adorable. Thanks for the great review. The cover makes me want to run and bake cookies right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you've got me craving sugar cookies. :-)

    ReplyDelete