Thursday, October 1, 2009

Review: Have A Little Faith by Mitch Albom



Recommended for: everyone

Teaser Quote:
"Having more does not keep you from wanting more. And if you always want more - to be richer, more beautiful, more well known - you are missing the bigger picture, and I can tell you from experience, happiness will never come." (pg 101, ISBN 978-0-7868-6872-8)

My rating: 4/5

My thoughts:

Mitch is perplexed after being asked by his hometown Rabbi, Albert Lewis, to deliver his eulogy when the time came. He accepts but recognizes the need to get to know him as a man rather then just a Rabbi. During his meetings with Al, they explore important topics including marriage, forgiveness and the secret to happiness.

Throughout the book, we are shown the lives of two very different people: different religious backgrounds (a Rabbi and a Pastor), with very different pasts, in two very different neighborhoods. Each chapter sheds light on the life of either Mitch, Rabbi Albert Lewis or Pastor Henry Covington. Quickly, Mitch notices they aren't as different as they seem. Both men were living their lives trying to send the same message, that there is comfort in believing something bigger than yourself.

Another inspirational story written by the author of best-sellers Tuesday's With Morrie and For One More Day. Whether you are religious, or not, is irrelevant. After reading this book, you are left feeling how different the world would be if only we all a little less selfish and that change is always possible.

Mitch Albom's Official Website

9 comments:

  1. I loved Tuesdays with Morries; the Five People You Meet in Heaven --not so much, so I'm unsure about this one at this point. I did enjoy your review though; thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane ~ this was a good read and not at all preachy (which I was worried about) but yes, Tuesday's is still my favorite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review....I have an award for you when you get a chance.

    http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2009/10/award-time-part-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive only read The Five People you Meet in Heaven....I didn't like it at all.

    Is this one a lot different to that in style?

    Aimee
    http://myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy character-driven novels, and this one sounds intriguing. I've been wondering about this book. Thank you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Tuesdays with Morrie and this sounds it may be closer to that than Albom's other books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mitch is such a wonderful author... this review caught me by surprise as I did not know about this book. It has a wonderful topic and I know it will be another beloved read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ryan ~ thanks :)

    Aimee & stacybuckeye ~ this was more like Tuesday's With Morrie. I didn't connect as strongly with the characters in this one, but it still leaves a similar feeling after reading the book. I'm not religious, maybe that makes a difference???

    Laughing Stars & Sheila ~ thanks! I hope you guys check it out! I gives the reader such a nice, simple message we sometimes need to be reminded of :)

    ReplyDelete