Friday, September 4, 2009

Review: 206 Bones by Kathy Reichs


Recommended for: mystery lovers and fans of the Bones T.V. show (though not to be compared as the show was inspired by Reichs and only borrows the main character)

Teaser Quote:
Had I been grabbed at home? On the street? In my car? Outside the Edifice Wilfrid-Derome? Inside the lab?

Was my captor a random predator and I a random victim? Had I been targeted because of who I am? Revenge sought by a former accused? By a conspiracy-theorist next of kin? What case had I been working on?


My rating: 4/5

My thoughts:

Temperance Brennan is back again starring in the 12th book of the series by Kathy Reichs.

The story begins with Brennan hog-tied and trapped in an underground tomb. As she decides how to get herself out, she goes over recent events in an attempt to figure out just how she got there in the first place. Throughout the book, we jump between the present and the past, always left eager to find out just how she will come to free herself and ultimately who the perpetrator was.

From what Brennan recalls, she was working a case involving the murder of elderly ladies. Were they related & just why (or how) could someone be so cold to hurt the innocent women? Aside from the murder investigations, it is brought to Brennan's attention that someone may be out to sabotage her career. Lucky for her (or us?), Brennan is working alongside detective/ex-boyfriend Andrew Ryan. The banter between Brennan and Ryan added an enjoyable/flirty element to the book that I hope to see more of in the future.

I was a little disappointed that I had figured out part of the ending about halfway through the book and didn't feel the 'sitting on the edge of my seat' suspense I had anticipated. Reich's ability to write about the topic of forensic anthropology without feeling like I was in a university lecture was refreshing. Newcomers to the series need not worry as you don't have to begin at book #1 (though I'm sure having a background may have been beneficial - I'll let you know later!).

Other reviews on 206 Bones worth checking out:
Books N' Border Collies
This Girl's Ever Expanding Library

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Mel! I was a little disappointed at figuring it out, too, but I still enjoyed it. It's hard not to like them! I linked your review to mine.

    Have a great weekend!
    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juju ~ thanks :)

    Lezlie ~ I assumed they weren't all as easy to figure out, too bad this was my first Reichs book That being said, I still want to read the rest of the series. Thanks for the link, I have added you to mine as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading good things about this book, and I look forward to getting my hands on a copy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my MOM loves Bones I will have to tell her about this, thanks! Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!

    There's an award for you over at my blog...it's so you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of her books are great, some less so. I'll ait on this one, I still have a couple others to get to

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laughing stars ~ enjoy!

    Krista ~ the characters are all different, including Brennan BUT the premise of the show is the same

    Jackie ~ thanks!

    Deb ~ it was good enough that I want to read the previous books but not as good as I was expecting (sometimes high expectations aren't a good thing, lol)

    ReplyDelete