Thursday, September 10, 2009

Review: Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange




Recommended for: fans of Pride & Prejudice

Teaser quote:
I stopped breathing. I had spoken. I had let out my feelings. I had offered them to her, and could only wait to see if she would fling them back in my face. But she said nothing. Why did she not speak? Was she shocked? Horrified? Pleased? Then hope rose in my breast. Perhaps she was kept silent by pleasure? I had to know.(pg 275, ISBN 978-1-4022-0876-8)

My rating: 4/5

My thoughts:
Ever wonder what Darcy was thinking when he met and fell in love with Elizabeth Bennet? Amanda Grange gives us a believable rendition of Darcy's thoughts spanning his courtship with Elizabeth and their ultimate marriage. She seamlessly weaves conversations word for word from Austen's Pride and Prejudice as well as creating her own for us to see the world through Darcy's eyes in the form of a diary. You could feel the tension as he struggles with his undeniable passion for Elizabeth and his upbringing which instilled in him a strong sense of propriety.

Although Darcy's character is a tad, well reserved, there were times I laughed out loud. When Darcy hears of her interest in George Wickham, he writes "If she should marry him...I will not think of it. If I do, I will go mad." All in all, this is a great read for Austen fans.

http://www.amandagrange.com/

9 comments:

  1. I love Mr Darcy! Great review.

    Also, I've tagged you HERE for the ABC's of Mel, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to pick this one up glad to hear it's good. Plus, I love good laugh! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I want to know is, can you picture Colin Firth narrating this book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista ~ it's a good laugh in the way that even Darcy realizes what a snobby, stick in the mud he is, lol.


    Bookblogged ~ lol, tea almost covered my monitor. I have a date with Darcy/Firth and my BF on Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Follower.
    You know I'm not sure I would like this book and since I have not read Pride and Prejudice yet I think that this will be back listed. :)
    I love your blog. Very Nice. Cute name, clean and cute as well as organized. It looks like you have experience at this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shellie ~ Nice of you to stop by, I'm a follower of you too ;) You are too kind, I'm just starting so thanks for the compliment!
    I know the P&P story but it's been a while, this was a nice refresher & neat to see his point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good, I love Darcy aka Colin Firth. I need another book for the Austen Challenge, maybe I will read this one

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb ~ well perfect timing or what! It was a good, quick read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great read!

    http://starkravingbibliophile.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete