Sunday, September 20, 2009

In My Mailbox / Mailbox Monday September 20-21, 2009




In My Mailbox is a meme hosted by The Story Siren

and thanks to Marcia at The Printed Page for hosting Mailbox Monday.


My goodies this week:


With book #2 now out and all the buzz I had to get this one. I can't wait to read it!!

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before -- and survival



....and the highly anticipated book #2.

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge!



Another one that looks sooooo good I'm super excited to read.

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human -- or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.



This novel was discovered after Crichton's death and word is that Steven Spielberg is to adapt the novel to film!

Pirate Latitudes is an adventure story about piracy in the New World. Set in 1665, when Jamaica was a British colony holding out against Spanish dominance, the story centers on a plan hatched by the island's governor and a notorious pirate called Hunter to raid a Spanish treasure galleon. Fast-moving and suspenseful, Pirate Latitudes is a historical classic from one of America's best-loved authors.



I'm enjoying some more historical fiction.. part two of a trilogy on King Arthur.

from PW: This colorful second installment of Hollick's King Arthur trilogy (following The Kingmaker) continues the bloody legend as the young king of Britain tries to keep his throne amid traitors, rivals and deadly treachery. This is a period of savage brutality, deceit, feud, greed and lust for power, with Arthur, the Pendragon, as merciless and cunning as his challengers. Arthur is 24, married to his second wife, the beautiful Gwenhwyfar. His hostile first wife, Winifred, schemes to unseat Arthur and put her own son on the throne, but other women are also pregnant by Arthur, and familial royal murder plots abound. When Arthur is not bedding his wife, mistress, prostitutes or female spies, he is busy chopping up foes with sword and battle-ax, while doing his own scheming to outwit and destroy his arch enemy, Morgause, who harbors a bitter hatred for Arthur and his family and is the only enemy Arthur fears. Refreshingly, Hollick's Arthur is no Hollywood hero; he's a vicious opportunist, devious and manipulative, a lusty master of expedient decision and action.


What did you get this week?

21 comments:

  1. The Hunger Games and Catching Fire are AMAZING! FANTASTIC! AWESOME! LOL. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will LOve The Hunger Games! In my top of YA reads by far! I look forward to your review, for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved both the Hunger Games books. I'm really excited about Shiver too. What great books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hunger Games and Catching Fire are PHENOMENAL! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SUPER excited to read EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE! They all have to go on my Christmas list...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got Catching Fire, but I haven't read it yet (I think I'm putting it off, so I don't have to wait a full year until the next book is released). Great books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm putting off reading The Hunger Games until I get Catching Fire from the library. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hunger Games is amazing and so is Catching Fire!! I really want to read Shiver as well!!

    Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought The Hunger Games and Catching Fire earlier today. I can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great books you got this week. They all look really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have both Catching Fire and Shiver on my stack of books! Don't start The Hunger Games unless you have plenty of time as you won't want to put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished The Hunger Games and started Catching Fire. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone! I was so happy, like a kid at Christmas when I opened up my boxes this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michael Cricthon books are so good! I didn't realize he had a post-humous release. Thanks for the head up!

    Here is my Monday post http://metroreader.blogspot.com/2009/09/mailbox-monday-september-21st.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. DCMetroreader ~ Yes, I found it thanks to a fellow blogger. I really need to write down names to properly thank people!

    Also, another unfinished work was found. A techno-thriller, though I don't think it has been said who will finish it. It's set for release next yr!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVED Hunger Games and can't wait for Catching Fire. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hunger games is close to the top of my pile to be read. My son loved it! I LOVED Shiver! Great set of books this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just ordered the two Suzanne Collins books, and I am excited about reading them. I hope all the hype doesn't ruin them for me. :-) Shiver was a really fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm green with envy...you have one generous mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I recently read something about Helen Hollick's series, and both sound really good. :)

    Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! You got the new Crichton?!! My husband will be green with envy when I tell him! Enjoy all your books : )

    ReplyDelete