Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Waiting on" Wednesday - September 30, 2009

This weekly event is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

My can't wait to read book is a new book by the author of The Historian, The Swan Thieves: A Novel by Elizabeth Kostova



To be released: January 12, 2010

Psychiatrist Andrew Marlowe, devoted to his profession and the painting hobby he loves, has a solitary but ordered life. When renowned painter Robert Oliver attacks a canvas in the National Gallery of Art and becomes his patient, Marlow finds that order destroyed. Desperate to understand the secret that torments the genius, he embarks on a journey that leads him into the lives of the women closest to Oliver and a tragedy at the heart of French Impressionism.

Kostova's masterful new novel travels from American cities to the coast of Normandy, from the late 19th century to the late 20th, from young love to last love. THE SWAN THIEVES is a story of obsession, history's losses, and the power of art to preserve human hope.

13 comments:

  1. OOh, yeah! This one does look great, doesn't it? And I loved The Historian.

    here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of the few that didn't read The Historian...both are going on my list. Great pick...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous cover. Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That one sounds really good. Great pick to add to my tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the Historian either, but I want to and this one sounds really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too, can't wait for this one!! Here is mine:

    http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2009/09/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. premise sounds good. but, i'll have to wait to read your review on this one. i got burned on the historian. i one of the few who did not like the book. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm such a sucker for life stories, I can't wait to see where this one takes me.

    vvb32 ~ It was definately a love it or hate it book. I have it to thank for reminding how awesome Dracula was :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a great cover! Makes me want to find out more about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read the Historian yet but I really want to. I like the way this sounds and I really like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the Historian, even though it was really (really) long. I'll definitely be adding this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary - I agree, such a beautiful cover!

    Mishel & Lizzy ~ The Historian sure was a long one, at times slow but in the end worth the read. The new book is shorter at only 560pages ;)

    ReplyDelete